Summer camp Info
If you are interested in joining our summer camp but have never attended a Spectrum Insights event, please fill out our new student form in the following link:
New Student Online Form
If you enjoyed your experience at camp, please consider writing a review on our FB page or emailing your thoughts for us to share on our web page:
If you are already part of the Spectrum insights Family and would like attend our summer camp or be put on a wait list, please fill out camp form below:
Summer Camp Online Form
Intro Letter for March Break & Summer Camp
The following is our intro letter for all the camps. You will find info on all that is needed for each week. Itineraries will be sent out separately a week prior to the camp your child is enrolled in. At the bottom of the page is a sample Itinerary. You will see reminders of what to bring in. How much Money is needed each day. The days planned activities. Links to the restaurants will be posted under the itinerary for you to review.
New for 2019:
For students without a data plan on their phones, we encourage you do download the map of Ottawa on Google maps. If your child uses another map program, please looking to downloading an offline version of it. This wll greatly help us teach how to use maps to find their way around the city.
Please dress for the weather
It can be very hot for summer and in march the weather varies greatly. In summer so we recommend a hat and sunscreen. The students can apply the sunscreen themselves at camp before we leave or at home.
Coupons are welcome for restaurants and events. If you have an Access card, please send it in. Links to the restaurants are listed under the itinerary, sent via email. Please go over menus w/ your child to help them pick out a meal for that day. Some restaurants may be challenging as we are looking for diversity, exploring new cultures and getting the students out of their comfort zone.
Please send in
We will try return to Sunnyside at 3pm most days. In previous years most students were exhausted by the end of the day so this year I promised to give them some time to relax.. I want them to connect and bond so this extra time will be good them to just be themselves, socialize and wind down after a long day of walking. The students can socialize, play board games, share electronics, watch a video together on the projector. Feel free to send in any games/DVD or electronics that you feel would be fun to share. ALL electronics (phones are the exception) will stay at Sunnyside until we return at 3.
If you have not paid in full, Please send in the remaining fee for the week your child is attending on Monday morning ($252). Please email or call if you need clarity on the amount owed.
Cheques made out to:
Please note, the week registered for is a week committed to including the full payment. We will not be offering part time attendance at a reduced rate nor reimbursing for missed days.
Thank you very much, it’s going to be a fun summer! Please note itineraries will be posted via email one week prior to camp. A sample itinerary is from last year is included below. The current itineraries will be slightly different but this gives you an idea. Expect to eat out 2-3 times a week.
We will help the students keep track of what they spend each day. We will encourage them to save their change and use it at the end of the week for shopping. The students can save money by getting water instead of pop for lunches, sharing meals etc. Seeing their money grow may encourage them to save outside of camp.
Itineraries and camp photos for 2019 will be in this Column
The March Break Itinerary is a work in progress. Alex and i are still tweaking eating choices. Be aware, events may change but for now, this a rough idea of the camp and costs. We will post the finalized version on Friday so please check back!
Please note that links to menus will be posted under each itinerary. Please go over it w/ your child prior to camp. This will help mitigate confusion when looking at the menu and help them decide ahead of time what their budget is. For many students, ordering on their own and understanding the meal cost is a first time event. Right Click to view image in new tab to enlarge
Memory Lane: 2019 Photos
August 13-17 JFG
August 13-17 Team John
July 30-August 3rd
July 23-27 Team John
Team John & Team Catherine
What we cover weekly at the Spectrum Insights Camp
Learning to use public transit
- Teach the student how to enter a bus
- How to use the OC travel Planner
- How to use google maps
- Planning the bus route for the day or week
- Emergency situations: Missed stops, If a student gets lost, Location of Yellow call boxes
- What to do if left alone on the bus or left alone at a stop
- Where to sit on the bus
- Who not to sit next to
- What to do w/ backpacks
- How to talk to OC security and where to find them
- Using Emergency Yellow Boxes
- What to do and say when approached by a stranger
- What to do when Lost or separated from the group
- Walking down the street, making room for the elderly or wheelchairs
- Spatial awareness/social awareness
- Using your emergency contact cards
- How to use a wallet
- Where to carry your money
- Budgeting for the week
- Daily Budget
- Keeping track of money as they move through the day
- Help the students handle money during transactions
- Help the student learn delayed gratification (personal shopping is done on Fridays)
- Losing money
- Losing a wallet/purse
- How to handle small change
- Teaching the student how to be efficient during a transaction
- How to stay calm when they feel rushed
- Daily planning: Where are we going - how do we get there - what do we need
- Ensuring the student has ALL their belongings during each transition
- Medication - When is it needed - Do they have it w/ them
- Using a watch and telling time
- Printable weekly budget - Update it daily w/ the students
- Daily Schedule posted
- Daily greetings
- Remembering names
- Knowing the interests of each student
- Conversation starters
- Social etiquette in the classroom - In the city - On the bus - During transactions
- Teach how to plan a socials